Sunday, October 12, 2008

Man is an island

John Donne wrote:
"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
It is obvious that Mr. Donne had never stepped onto the campus of any high school or college, since he passed away in 1631. Now a days, man is an island. I walk down the hall at Utah Valley y on occasion, I meander through the campus at BYU. I am amazed how many people I see walking with each other, but not with each other because they both are listening to their own music coming from their own ipod.
The other day, I decided to follow suit and try to be like the normal college student, young American and listen to my ipod while walking to my class. I lasted a whole 15-30 seconds before I had to take the ear phones out y turn the music off. I love listening to my music, but I cannot help but wonder if Ipods are isolating others from enjoying each others company.
To be it is a sign of selfishness. You are sending a message out to the world, stating that no one else matters but you y your music. I feel like the sounds nature y everyday life could disappear, just like elevator music, y no one would notice, since they are all stuck in their own world.




Now ipods are not a bad invention, I mean I enjoy mine, when I am home alone trying to relax after a taxing day or when I have to more the acre lot in front of my house, but other than that, I'd rather talk to with others during the day.
My friend y I were running one night y passed two girls running together, but each girl had their ipod, so they really couldn't enjoy the run together or talk. Reagan y I were dumbfounded on what we saw.
So please unplug those headphones y enjoy life. Listen to the sounds of nature, meet someone new in between classes. It will only help you become a better person y might help you expand your personal bubble.

1 comment:

nicole marie said...

i mean that is a good point,but honestly...what if they were having a crappy day and just need to listen to some music to relax themselves. . maybe they are depressed and that is what makes them feel better. you don't know why a person is listening to their music. i believe you can still enjoy life while listening to music.