Saturday, September 20, 2008

Perfect

I don't know if I have ever posted about the guys I work with, but last night during my marathon shift here, I Am Sam was on TV, (Watching movies is one of the only thing that doesn't put me to sleep) y here is just one of the clips of dialogue that touched me;

Sam: Yeah, but I tried, I tried hard.
Rita: Try harder!
Sam: Yeah, but you don't know, you don't know!
Rita: I don't know WHAT?
Sam: Yeah, you don't know what is like when you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, and you don't ever get there! Because you were born perfect and I was born like this, and you're perfect!
Rita: Oh, is that right?
Sam: People like you don't know...
Rita: People like me?
Sam: People like you don't know what is like to get hurted. Because you don't have feelings. People like you don't feel anything!

I then sit back y realize that people do treat others that have disabilities differently. I took my guys to see the new Narnia movie at the $1 theater y the lady that was sitting behind us, as soon as we sat down, ushered her 2 kids to seats farther away from us, looking at me like I was insane for endangering her family with my guys.
Since I've been working with my guys, I've spent less time with the people I usually hung out with growing up. It's not that I have meant to do it, but I've learned so many lessons here at work. In my mind these three are just as perfect as a kid that has not reached the age of accountability that we read about in the scriptures.
The first thing that I have learned is the lesson of compassion! Have you ever been having a horrible day y do not know how to make it feel better? There are not many normal people that will take the time to figure out why, you feel bad or truly try to make you feel better. The thing is people that have mental retardation are some of the only people I know that will see a stranger crying y almost demand to give them a hug y tell them that they are loved. I know that there are some of us, that would do the same thing, but these guys are like little kids, they seriously want everyone to be happy.
Love is another feeling I've learned about here during my time with my guys. There isn't a day that doesn't go by where they are not looking for their daily hugs from me. They also will tell you how much they love you, at least 2-3 times a day. They are not ashamed of their feelings, but I wonder if we just assume ourselves that no one needs to hear it from us.
They've also mastered the art of forgiveness! I've seen so many of them say mean y hurtful things to one another only to turn right around 10 seconds later feeling bad y seeking forgiveness from whomever they have wronged. They might have told me to shut up, or that they were mad at me, but they are quick to say sorry while the other guys will always forgive them.
People are scared of what they don't know or understand. I figure that is why some people are afraid of people that I work with. Doing so, makes them feel like they are worthless y they ask us some times, do people think I'm retarded or I wish I was more perfect like you. Whenever that happens I want to take them into my arms, but again the law says I can't. We do talk though y I mention to them that they are better for what they have, not what they do not have. They have mastered three of the Christ like attributes that I am trying to obtain or perfect even more. People with a handicap are closer to being like Christ in this earth than most of us will ever be.
Try not to pass judgment to quickly, you might be surprised what you learn about others!

No comments: